Medical Science & Computing (MSC) is an exciting growth oriented company, dedicated to providing mission critical scientific and technical services to the Federal Government. We have a distinguished history of supporting the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and other government agencies. MSC offers a dynamic and upbeat work environment, excellent benefits and career growth opportunities.
We attract the best people in the business with our competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision coverage, 401k plan with employer contribution, paid holidays, vacation, Medical and Flexible Spending Accounts, Pre-Tax Transit Assistance and tuition reimbursement. If you enjoy being a part of a high performing, professional service and technology focused organization, please apply today!
Medical Science & Computing is searching for a Full Stack Software Engineer to support the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI), part of the U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health. This opportunity is full-time, and it is on-site in Bethesda, Maryland.
NCBI is one of the top 400 most visited sites. We provide free access to petabytes of biomedical and genomic information and our products are used by scientists all over the world, including PubMed, RefSeq, ClinVar, and Clinical Trials. Our engineers work throughout the software stack (front-end, middle-ware, backend, ops, test, and architect). All have a critical impact on biomedical science. This position will serve the Medical Genetics and Human Variation Program’s mission is to provide accurate, timely and enriched data to genetic counselors, clinicians, data scientists and researchers studying the correlation between human variation and disease.
NCBI is intellectual, collaborative, and passionate. We care that our products are used. We care that they are good. Engineers work in small teams with independent agile processes. We desire strong software engineering practices and are continually improving. We treat one another with respect and empathy. We support flexible work hours and telework, which facilitate an excellent work-life balance.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Build the core components of web projects, back-end processing systems, and services
• Design, build, test, deploy, and maintain frequently complex dataflows
• Review requirements and propose maintainable, scalable solutions.
• Write advanced, high-quality, production-grade, readable code
• Python 3
• Linux and some bash scripting
• Git or other DVCS
• A solid understanding of and experience applying modern software design principles
• High personal standards of software craftsmanship; the ability to consistently and easily produce clean, readable code
• A commitment to comprehensive testing and maintaining a low defect rate
• Collaboration with other developers; being able to both advocate for your point of view and to give it up without hard feelings if the rest are not convinced; being able to both teach and learn; always seeking what is best for the team and for the user
• 3 years of experience or a postgraduate degree in Computer Science or similar field
• Django Web Framework
• MSSQL RDBMS
• Perl (for some legacy code work)
• CI/CD and TeamCity experience
• Apache Airflow
• MapReduce Frameworks such as Hadoop or Spark
• AWS or GCP experience
• Basic understanding of biology, genomics and human variation
Medical Science & Computing is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.